Sunday, August 22, 2010

Why Effective Communication Skills are Important to Me

Communication is broadly defined as the transfer of information and ideas between two or more individuals. If you take a moment to think about it, there really isn’t a day that goes by without us utilising at least one communication channel to interact with others; be it in sending messages, receiving them, or both. From jostling with fellow commuters on MRT trains, “excuse me, excuse me!” “OW! You’ve stepped on my foot!” to ordering morning coffee at a hawker centre, “one kopi-xiu-dai, da-pao” greeting friends at school, “hey Jim!” (followed by a slap on the back) greeting one’s professor, “morning, Sir!” (without the slap on the back, for obvious reasons) commenting on someone’s  facebook status update, and even decoding this blog post right here. (Thank you so much for stopping by). From the above, it is pretty evident that knowing our audience plays a big role in determining our tone, language used, and even non-verbal cues in communicating.

Being able to communicate effectively is vital. It would be a disaster if all the skilled and talented people in the world were unable to communicate and convey their ideas to others; we would not get anywhere as a global society! Or if messages always got jumbled in transmission and no-one could ever understand what another person meant, we would get into arguments over misunderstandings at every turn! On the flip side, organised-crime wouldn’t be as ‘organised’ and no single government could wage war against another country, simply because they wouldn’t be able to manage their own troops, much less launch an attack. But I digress...

The first two introductory sessions of this course have put specific names on aspects of communication that I’ve taken for granted as being simply intuitive, much like finally matching names to faces that I’ve been seeing around all this while; things like sender-receiver interaction, message encoding and decoding, verbal and non-verbal communication, active listening, and clarifying messages through feedback.

Over the past week, I was volunteering with the YOG medical team during the swimming events held at the Singapore Sports School. Quite naturally, communication played a big part in ensuring coordination and the smooth running of evacuation drills, logistics checks, and the like. Every member of our medical team was issued a walkie-talkie that was connected to a common channel; which meant that everyone could hear you whenever you depressed a “push-to-talk” button on your handset (we were cautioned against accidentally pressing it while in the lavatory...or some other awkward place). This opened up a whole new means of communication –and of error. We all soon found out that using a walkie-talkie isn’t as fool-proof as one might think, it isn't exactly a simplified handphone; one has to follow a specific etiquette to be heard and understood. First off, upon depressing the “push-to-talk” button, you ought to identify yourself and then indicate whom you wish to address (remember, everyone can hear all that is being said and if you don’t specifically address a particular person, no-one will know to whom your message is intended). Only after getting a response from the intended recipient, should one proceed to send the actual message. This would ensure that the recipient is indeed attentive and ready to receive the message at that moment (note: active listening!). After the main message, one has then got to say “over” before releasing the button, to indicate that he or she is done talking...and the message is well, over. Without the visual cues of body language and facial expressions, we had to rely on these verbal cues to know when the speaker had finished. In return, the receiver would have to acknowledge receipt of the message with a “roger that” (note: what an example of feedback!). Failing which, he or she would be prompted by the sender with a “so-and-so, do you copy me?” All the tough soldier-talk picked up from one too many military movies sure came in handy.

Communicating effectively is important to me because it would be torturous to be misunderstood, or simply go unheard, all the time. Communicating lets others inside your psyche, inside your world, so that they can understand you better and get to know you as a person. Quite naturally, it works both ways, allowing you to get to know others as well; fostering mutual respect through understanding. Like it or not, we are being silently judged from the moment we open our mouths to speak. To a large extent our ability (or inability) to communicate effectively reflects on us as individuals; indicating to others certain traits such as how confident, competent or responsible we are.

For communication to be effective, we ought to bear in mind our audience (plus any cultural and/or social barriers that might exist), the requirements of a particular communication setting (which would guide our language and tone), and our non-verbal signals and cues.

I personally feel that communicating effectively is pretty tricky business. There are so many avenues for faux pas, particularly with the various communication channels -most of which do not involve face-to-face contact. Being good at communicating with others, be it in a social or corporate setting, is a truly invaluable skill. One which I am presently in the process of learning.

Alright, that's about it for now. Over.

8 comments:

  1. hello yuen may! :)

    I loved reading about your encounters with the walkie talkie at YOG. Cool that you were a part of it!

    It brought back fond walkie-talkie memories that I had from a community project. It was a one-day event and we weren't trained to use those! Well, one thing I learnt was to stop speaking in the long sentences I was used to, for occasions like that! Many actually lost focus of the long string of words after a short time! :/

    If only I had read your post about this 4 years ago! ;) Well, I guess the world is like this huge dynamic social classroom, where we can never stop learning from!

    Cheers,
    Yanling

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting post you have given. It really drives me to read more in future..!

    Regarding your example on the use of the walkie talkie, I could not agree more with your description on the use of the walkie talkie and how it actually enable communication between two parties to occur. I had experience using the walker talkie in army but it was quite useless for my vocation in the army as I was a bandsman. Often, in cases where we had to do daily barrack orderly checks, instead of checking that the walkie talkie was set to the correct channel and that everything was safe, I felt that a phone call would just solve everything.. :/

    Lastly, I also agreed with your point on effective communication not only encompasses not just effectively encoding, decoding the message but also special efforts must be taken to tie in other factors such as mutual understanding, interpersonal skills to paint the complete picture of having effective communication skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yuen May!

    Your introduction certainly grabbed my attention! By using everyday living examples, you showed how vital and crucial communication is. And i have to agree with that. For instance, many a times we would get frustrated because a point we are trying to drive home, sadly often gets misintepreted. -.-"

    As for your walkie-talkies, i had my fair chance of learning the art of communicating through them thanks to my days in army. It is true that communicating through this medium is something unique and different unlike any other. Well, i guess it is a good experience for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,May
    I think your post is an excellent ESSAY: quite well organised and fully developed! You firstly have a definition about what is communication and stress its importance. Later you elaborate your idea with real life example and experience and come to an conclusion.

    For the walkie-talkie example, it reminds me the importance of nonverbal elements in communication. As an electrical engineering student, I have learned about the communication method between machines.It is exactly the same as walkie-talkie. However, in real life we don't actually need those tedious procedures. I think this owns much to the nonverbal elements only we human beings can understand. We dont need to specially address 'beginning' or 'end' for our conversation because we can sense it from the tone, the pace and the gestures. That's the beauty of our human beings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi May,

    I completely agree that that communicating effectively is a tricky business. Not only about the transfer of messages, the non-verbal communication can show how enthusiastic the speaker is. (I'm now in one my lectures, PC****) Someone who speaks in a monotonous voice might show how interested (or uninterested) he is in a conversation, but the reason might be because he/she does not know how to communicate effectively.

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments, guys! (:

    Upon reviewing my post, I found it terribly long though! :P Was actually thinking of tossing out that huge chunk on the walkie-talkie encounter, and posting it separately. (Guess I got a bit carried away while typing my post out last week, since the events were so fresh in my mind). But as the walkie-talkies had been specifically identified in some comments, I decided to just leave that section in the main post.

    To every one who took the time to read through my full post, thank you very much. I truly appreciate it. And I promise: the next post will not be this lengthy. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's Friday evening and I'm trying to catch up on all the blog reading I have to do. Ouch. I've been doing this for a couple hours, then I come to your post. Well, May, you can imagine my initial reaction when I first saw the length. OMG.

    But I had to dive in, and dive in I did. Luckily for me, reading your prose is a smooth ride: your language use is fluid, your ideas cohere well, and you spice the post with the story of the walkie-talkies. I'm glad you kept that in, but wish yu had used the anecdote to make more of a statement about your needs.

    If you had to cut something out of this, I'd advise deleting some of the summary stuff. Your readers know how important comm skills are; they really want to know how all this stuff applies to you.

    Thanks, May, for the effort. I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey May,

    First reaction.. OH SHIT! This is going to take me long to read. I have no choice because you are in my blog group. Nevertheless, you didn't bore me. It was a great read and good use of language.

    I think it's a little too long because your anecdotes are quite well-elaborated, but it could be left out in the context of this question. Then again, if you left it out I don't know whether it's going to be interesting. Nonetheless, it was an excellent essay. It was clear on why effective communication is important with concrete examples and elaboration. The whole essays cohere to each other with a good flow from one paragraph to another.

    However, I think you could include more about yourself. After all, the topic is "why the effective communication is important to you?" Otherwise, it was a good effort and a great read. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete